Today, I am writing about the experience I had in my Chemistry practicals in Class XIIth.
The day started brightly as I went about doing the Volumetric analysis. After performing it quite nicely, went onto the second part. This one involved 8 marks for Acidic radicals and 2 marks for nature of chemical compound. As I went to the acidic radical part, adding some compound (I forget its name) gave me lot of effervescence showing presence of carbonate. With one radical already found, I didnt take much time to get the other one. With the acidic radicals done, I went on to the nature of organic compound question. The white chemical smelled a lot like naphthalene and I was quite sure it was just that. This meant that it was neutral in nature. But being the sincere student that I am, I went religiously over the different tests that we needed to perform. With the mind quite sure about the answer, it didnt take me much convincing to write the answer as neutral. With all the experiment done and the results tabulated in the answer sheet, I proceed to leave the hall.
I dont know what made me do this, but as I reached the entrance, I turn back and head to the internal examiner, Mrs. Paranjpe. I inform her that I completed my exam and could I leave. She feels that I should verify answers before I leave. (Dont ask me why she did it, even I am wondering the same all these years. I was the only one with whom she confirmed the answers and she didnt even know me. I surely am thankful to her for doing so.) In a confident manner, I give her my results from the volumetric analysis and acidic radicals. As I come to the nature of compound question, I get informed that my answers to the previous questions are correct. As I tell her that the compound was neutral in nature, I see a horror filled look on her face. I get shocked to know that my answer is wrong. I am informed that I should go back and do it again. But the problem is I have already submitted my answer sheet.
As I worry about my 2 marks (and 2 marks mean a lot in PCM), Mrs Paranjpe talks with the external examiner about my mistake and requests her to give me another chance for that experiement. Fortunately the external examiner is a very kind lady. She agrees to giving me a second chance on one condition. That I show her the results after every test. As I await the compound to be given to me by the peon, I am quite worried. As I add a basic solution to it, I get a small effervescence. I show the external examiner and her first question is "Pehle kahaan tha effervescence?" (Where was the effervescence when you did it earlier?). I give a smile and tell her that I have no idea how I missed it.
The fun is not yet over. Now that I have done the experiment again, I need to write the results in my answer sheet. And the external examiner cant find my answer sheet. After searching for five minutes, I finally get it. Making the necessary changes, I finally submit the corrected answer sheet again.
As I look back, I really want to thank both the examiners for their kindness. Those 2 marks meant a lot to me and decided the path that I took. When I had decided to shift to Sathaye, I was told by many people that since there are hundreds of students in Mumbai Colleges, the examiners are not that linient and helpful towards students. Hence I should have continued plus two in Boisar. But having this experience has made me understand one thing. However number of students may there be, when a student needs help, teachers are always there to provide it.
Tuesday, June 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment