Friday, August 21, 2009

That unforgettable ride in the rickshaw

I just remembered this incident yesterday and decided to write about it. This happened on one Sunday morning when I was in class XIIth and was on my way to Agrawal Classes.

When our college started, we used to have Agrawal Classes on Sundays. Usually our classes would be from 7 in the morning to 1.30 in the afternoon. But this sunday, they were from 10.25 to 1.30. So I started from home. Usually I get a rickshaw immediately from the station, but on this day, there seemed to no availability of an empty rickshaw. Rickshaws passed by continuously, but none of them were empty. And while I was waiting for a rickshaw, I happen to notice a pretty looking girl standing close by also waiting for a rickshaw. Finally, after what seemed like an eternal wait, but was only about 10 mins, a rickshaw pulls up. And of course, that rickshaw stops right in front of her and picks her up. (Of course, gender discrimination is present in India. But its not only discrimination against the fairer sex. The discrimination takes place against both the sexes.) By now, I am really sure I am going to be late for my classes. And also hoping that the next empty rickshaw would not take 10 minutes to come. But as the rickshaw passes in front of me, it stops. And the girl asks me whether I want a ride to the station.

The ride to the station always felt long and time consuming. This was partly due to my habit of leaving at the last possible time so as to just catch one of my pre-decided locals. But today, this journey seemed very short. The road to the station passes parallel to the railway tracks. Since I am a big rail fan, I get happy when I see a train passing by while I go to the station. But today, I hardly paid attention when a train passed by. After what seemed to be really short ride, we reached Goregaon station. The girl swiftly paid for the fare and went her own way. And I too decided to go my own way.

It's funny that eventhough that girl obviously stayed in Pandurang Wadi, I saw her only once later (and it happened the very next week). Over time, I forgot about the incident till I remembered about it yesterday and decided to write about it here. Thanks for the reading...

No comments:

Post a Comment