Fall 07 - My first quarter at Drexel. I still remember that day. John Walsh's lecture. I had difficulty understanding what he was saying. Eventually by end of 3 hr lecture, I was getting a hang of things. In the second lecture, I remember telling him, the zed-transform of ... A few mins later, had him saying zed transform instead of zee transform. Of course, he immediately corrected both me as well as himself and suggested we stick to the American zee rather than British or Canadian zed. The big break came on my birthday, when seeing my performance in the midterm, Dr. Petropulu took me in as a TA/RA beginning Winter. This term had my first short visit to NYC as well as a weekend spend in camping and hiking with Shyam. Cricket was a hectic activity during this term. I cant forget that evening during the Fall tournament. Afterall, how many can claim to drop three catches in a single 7 over game? The entire winter break, we played regularly and I continued my legacy. The big break came during our last match in the winter, where I finally held on to one. Overall, was a fun filled quarter. Jay had also visited during the winter break.
Winter 08 - Fun time over, serious time starts. It takes me the entire 3 months time just to understand something about the paper Dr. Petropulu had given to me some time in Fall Quarter. After trying out different things, finally work out something and look at it. And then realize what I am trying is surely going to finish off wireless communications. I am trying to send an infinite bandwidth signal over a finite bandwidth channel. Now I realize why they call research as 90% rubbish in the hope the remaining 10% works. I was looking forward to snow in the winter, but am disappointed. It snows only once, and the snow melts immediately next day. The break is used for regular CS sessions in Bossone. The CS craze sweeps through Drexel.
Spring 08 - The quarter begins with a bang. I have to commit for a PhD or leave the lab. Since I am not ready for such a major commitment, take the decision of leaving. This quarter I thought was the most relaxing. Only TA work and 3 courses. The 3rd one is of Kevin Murphy. One of the coolest profs I ever saw. Whatever your performance, grade is guaranteed to be A. TA work was also fun. Electronic Devices under Dr. Basu. The quarter ends with me getting an interview call from Motorola for a summer co-op. After a nervous interview, I still manage to get a co-op. Overall, this remains my favorite quarter at Drexel. Not too much work, good enjoyment and decent pay.
Summer 08 - The start of Motorola. Work for 5 days and then enjoy over the weekend. This term had my visits to Ocean City, Niagara Falls and Cleveland. This was the term that got me involved with the corporate life of the United States.
Fall 08 - Motorola co-op continued. And the term concluded with a visit to India in December. I celebrated my birthday with first visit to Pittsburgh. And really liked that place. Remaining term was the same. Work on the weekdays and relax on the weekends. Due to winter arriving early and low temperatures from second half of October, not much roaming around on the weekends. But the time was spent as a countdown to December trip to India.
Winter 09 - The terms first week was spent in India. Returned back to chilly Philly on Sunday of week 1. Two heavy courses meant that I was mostly busy with course work throughout the quarter. Nikhilesh came in early March and his visit coincided with the worst weather I have experienced in Philly in two years. It was so cold that we had to cancel our NY trip. Poor Nikhilesh felt really bad about it.
Spring 09 - The term I complete my MS. Commencement is on June 13th. I have decided to pursue a PhD. Before I get totally involved there, I thought I should compile a small para for each of the 7 quarters I have spent at Drexel. Not much happened in this quarter other than that big decision to go for a PhD. And of course, the convocation.
Monday, June 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment