Sunday, October 11, 2009

The great history quiz

After getting a good score in PCM in class XIIth, I decided to go for engineering. The admission process had its share of dramas and finally after multiple stay orders and judgments from all courts going up to the Supreme Court (yes, only the President was spared from giving his opinion on the admissions issue), the classes started. Due to late starting, the first semester was more like a first quarter and got over within three months. It was time to get the journals graded. Among the subjects we had was a subject called Computer Programming 1. Now, I hate programming and hence this course was going to be a tough one. Of course, with the help of good friends in the batch, I did manage to complete all the programs. So it was with great satisfaction of having completed all the programs that I made my way to Prof. Pandey for grading my journal. He looks at the first program and mentions to me that there are lot of errors in the flow chart. The flow chart that I had drawn was not tallying with my program. I need to correct it before I get it checked. Off I go for correcting it. I return back and he finds some more errors in the same flowchart. So again I get apprehended for my mistakes and am told to make the corrections once again. Making the necessary changes once again, I head to him for grading. This time, I am quite confident that I am right. Boom...he checks it and lets me know that the mistakes have infact increased this time. "Yeh tum kaise manage kar sakte ho. Har time kuch naye galtiyaan laate ho". By now, I am quite worried and the thought does come to my mind of having no grade in CP1. After making some more changes, I head to him for the fourth time for grading the same program. This time, I get lucky. There is one more student ahead of me sailing in the same boat. This student is from the same native place in Uttar Pradesh as Pandeyji. Pandeyji asks him some questions about the historical significance of Lucknow. Being next in line, I am asked for my opinion on it. Since I have a good knowledge of Indian history, I am able to answer it. What happens next is a quiz on Indian history. Mr. Pandey asks me questions from history and for every five correct answers that I give, I get a program checked without any questions on it. Soon, I have managed to not only get my entire journal graded without any mistakes pointed out, but I have also got A+ in CP1 (or should it be history 101?). After getting my journal graded, I ask Sandeep to have a look at my programs and flowcharts and let me know my mistakes. There are a whole bunch of them and no Professor would have given me even a B+ for that. But I guess I was lucky. Since then, I have got plenty of journals graded, but it was never as fun as the CP1 with Pandeyji...

9 comments:

  1. That's funny! :) yup, it was pretty much the same experience for me with a certain prof, who I remember only by the initials DKC.. maybe you know who I am talking about, since this was also in FE.. He expected us to turn the pages as he put tick marks, with no concern whatsoever for the content, once, as I turned the last page of my journal, he put a big confident check mark on the cover page of the journal below the one he was supposed to! Unbelievable.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @adil superb..
    @JP DKC kaun tha i 4got..my roll no was one ahead of u ryt?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @JP...was it DKC or are you refering to AKC, the chemistry prof???I have a wierd rememberence that he did something similar to my journal too...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reminds me of the C+ grade i got from Pandeyji for going to him for grading at lunch time....:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. guys ... but pandey hai kon....me not able to remember!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ganesh, Pandey was a lecturer from Computer Engineering branch. He was in charge of practicals for E Div CP1 pracs in first year. I dont know whether he took your division too in the first year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. gud one..!!!..:) reminded me of college

    ReplyDelete