Sunday, October 11, 2009

First class in the United States

After completing my B.E., I decided to follow the M.S. option. I gave my GRE in my 7th Semester and finished the application stage towards the end of that semester. The 8th semester saw the admits and the rejects coming out. It was in this term that I decided to opt for Drexel University. This university was located in downtown Philadelphia and had a good Telecommunications program. I finished the visa interview in June and in the month of September, I found myself in Philadelphia. Our term started on the 24th of September 2007 and I was eagerly waiting for this day. I was having a class on the first day itself. It was going to be DSP lecture by Dr. Walsh. All excited about it, I made my way to the class. I used to think that I was quite well versed in DSP. After the first lecture, I knew I was completely wrong.
So the first lecture starts and I am finding it very difficult to comprehend what Dr. Walsh is talking about. May be I was not that used to the accent, but I just couldn’t understand a thing what he was speaking. Sagar was sitting next to me and once or twice, I thought of asking him whether Dr. Walsh was speaking in some new language that I was not aware of. It was a weird situation where I knew something about the discussion, but I just couldn’t understand what the prof was speaking. This was a lecture I will never forget.
Fortunately by the next class, I had some exposure to people speaking fast in American accent. I could manage to understand what Dr. Walsh was saying. I managed to do decently in his course and ended up with an A-. It was certainly a relief to get through his class, especially after the experience in the first class. My first class in the United States is something I will always remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment