The Prologue...
In 2014, as we were watching Cilic beat Nishikori in the US Open final, my friend S mentioned that we should head to New York to see US Open 2015. Fast forward few months and tickets for US Open go online. We finalize our plans to go see all the tennis stars. Since RF is the main attraction and having a tough year, we decided not to take any chances and go for the first round. Since US Open has morning and evening sessions on Arthur Ashe and do not decide the order till a week before the event, we decide to go for both Day 1 and Day 2 morning and evening sessions. S books the tickets and the countdown begins. As the summer continues, anticipation builds up. I book my tickets deciding to spend the weekend at Edison before heading to Queens on Monday and Tuesdays for the US Open.
First Serve...
In 2014, as we were watching Cilic beat Nishikori in the US Open final, my friend S mentioned that we should head to New York to see US Open 2015. Fast forward few months and tickets for US Open go online. We finalize our plans to go see all the tennis stars. Since RF is the main attraction and having a tough year, we decided not to take any chances and go for the first round. Since US Open has morning and evening sessions on Arthur Ashe and do not decide the order till a week before the event, we decide to go for both Day 1 and Day 2 morning and evening sessions. S books the tickets and the countdown begins. As the summer continues, anticipation builds up. I book my tickets deciding to spend the weekend at Edison before heading to Queens on Monday and Tuesdays for the US Open.
First Serve...
Its Monday, August 31 2015. Previous evening, I have looked at the schedule and found the stars of the day would be Djokovic in the morning session and Nadal in the evening. But first thing, it is time to go to Louis Armstrong stadium and catch a seat close by to watch Nishikori against Paire. There is lot of support for the Japanese star, of course, the biggest cheers for him come from me. So loud is my cheering and clapping that when I don't clap for one point, he actually looked up at me wondering why I wasn't clapping. Unfortunately, the best of clapping and cheering is not enough as he loses in 5 sets wasting match point in the fourth set. While I do feel sad at him losing, there is still lot of tennis to watch. Off to one of the outside courts to watch Tsonga, but he has already finished his match. S manages to get his autograph as the security officers whisk him away.
Practice sessions...
Next, I head to the practice courts to see Sania Mirza practice along with Martina Hingis. Going on day 1 and 2 means only singles action, so only way to see the doubles stars is at their practice session. I have a nice seat at the practice court but decide to head to see some matches and return back for RF's session. Wrong decision as I find out. The practice courts stand is full and I can't access them. Well, just have to wait till tomorrow to watch him play.
As we walk around deciding which match to check out next, S has brought out the Federer masks he got. A TV reporter sees us and asks us to walk with masks backwards as he takes our video. Please don't have your eyes towards the camera. As we don't know which channel he is working for, all we have is the solace of knowing our backs are going to be on TV.
Highlight of the day...
The women's matches have been completed at Arthur Ashe and its time for the highlight of the morning session. World no 1, Djokovic playing his first round match. In 1:11, Djokovic wins 6-1,6-1,6-1. The one point I remember is when Djokovic has game point and ball lands out, but line ref calls it in. Djokovic challenges and is at his seat even before the umpire calls for Hawkeye. Of course, the replays show it is well out.
After watching Djokovic win 6-1,6-1,6-1 in 1h 11min, I decide to head out to watch action on the outer courts. While watching matches at Arthur Ashe stadium is an amazing experience, the outer courts often have riveting action which you can watch from the front row. I head to Court 10 to watch Daria Gavrilova, a former US open junior champion play Daria Kasatkina, who was playing her first grand slam match after making it through to main draw as a lucky loser. I end up sitting next to DG's coach and it is an interesting experience watching the coach keep motivating their disciples. Finally as DG faces match point, her coach shouts "you can do it" to which DG replies "No, I cant". Well, as you can guess the match is over on the next point.
The evening session - When Arthur Ashe comes to life...
I finally catch up with S and S to decide the next course of action. I want to go to Arthur Ashe to watch Serena Williams, but Wawrinka is playing on Louis Armstrong court. So we decide we will head to AA when Serena is about to start the second set thus getting matches on both court. Unfortunately, by the time we reach our seats in AA, Serena's opponent has retired and the match is over. So we just wait for the last match to start on AA, it is a big one. Nadal vs Coric. While we are waiting for the match to start, I chat with our neighbor who is a big Rafa fan. It is an interesting conversation where he tells us how he has been following Rafa for a long time and how modest and nice person Rafa is. The match gets interesting when Coric wins the third set and Rafa looks to be struggling, however I need to leave to head back to Edison. After reaching home, I find out that Rafa won the fourth set and the match. I get delayed reaching NY Penn station and miss my train, so need to wait an hour for the next one. It initially gets cancelled, but thankfully they found and fixed the issue, so I get to Edison around 1am, tired but happy after a long day of viewing tennis. Of course I dont have to time to think much about it as after sleeping for few hours, I am heading back to NY and Flushing Meadows for Day 2 of US Open, which is coming up soon...
Practice sessions...
Next, I head to the practice courts to see Sania Mirza practice along with Martina Hingis. Going on day 1 and 2 means only singles action, so only way to see the doubles stars is at their practice session. I have a nice seat at the practice court but decide to head to see some matches and return back for RF's session. Wrong decision as I find out. The practice courts stand is full and I can't access them. Well, just have to wait till tomorrow to watch him play.
As we walk around deciding which match to check out next, S has brought out the Federer masks he got. A TV reporter sees us and asks us to walk with masks backwards as he takes our video. Please don't have your eyes towards the camera. As we don't know which channel he is working for, all we have is the solace of knowing our backs are going to be on TV.
Highlight of the day...
The women's matches have been completed at Arthur Ashe and its time for the highlight of the morning session. World no 1, Djokovic playing his first round match. In 1:11, Djokovic wins 6-1,6-1,6-1. The one point I remember is when Djokovic has game point and ball lands out, but line ref calls it in. Djokovic challenges and is at his seat even before the umpire calls for Hawkeye. Of course, the replays show it is well out.
After watching Djokovic win 6-1,6-1,6-1 in 1h 11min, I decide to head out to watch action on the outer courts. While watching matches at Arthur Ashe stadium is an amazing experience, the outer courts often have riveting action which you can watch from the front row. I head to Court 10 to watch Daria Gavrilova, a former US open junior champion play Daria Kasatkina, who was playing her first grand slam match after making it through to main draw as a lucky loser. I end up sitting next to DG's coach and it is an interesting experience watching the coach keep motivating their disciples. Finally as DG faces match point, her coach shouts "you can do it" to which DG replies "No, I cant". Well, as you can guess the match is over on the next point.
The evening session - When Arthur Ashe comes to life...
I finally catch up with S and S to decide the next course of action. I want to go to Arthur Ashe to watch Serena Williams, but Wawrinka is playing on Louis Armstrong court. So we decide we will head to AA when Serena is about to start the second set thus getting matches on both court. Unfortunately, by the time we reach our seats in AA, Serena's opponent has retired and the match is over. So we just wait for the last match to start on AA, it is a big one. Nadal vs Coric. While we are waiting for the match to start, I chat with our neighbor who is a big Rafa fan. It is an interesting conversation where he tells us how he has been following Rafa for a long time and how modest and nice person Rafa is. The match gets interesting when Coric wins the third set and Rafa looks to be struggling, however I need to leave to head back to Edison. After reaching home, I find out that Rafa won the fourth set and the match. I get delayed reaching NY Penn station and miss my train, so need to wait an hour for the next one. It initially gets cancelled, but thankfully they found and fixed the issue, so I get to Edison around 1am, tired but happy after a long day of viewing tennis. Of course I dont have to time to think much about it as after sleeping for few hours, I am heading back to NY and Flushing Meadows for Day 2 of US Open, which is coming up soon...
No comments:
Post a Comment