I had no indication that my journey would be so long and I would be writing about it when I started the journey. The plan was pretty simple. Catch a Greyhound from Cleveland to Columbus and then a flight from Columbus to Philadelphia. With such a simple plan, I started my journey. Kashmira and Sriram dropped me to the Greyhound terminal in the morning. It was 8 in the morning and my bus was scheduled at 11.45. With plenty of time to spare, I decided to explore the downtown area of Cleveland. The biggest attraction of Cleveland is Lake Erie (it was definitely for me). And so I made my way to it. It was great fun. It looks like a sea and if you didn’t know it, your question will be which sea is this? After spending some time at the lake front, saw the Great Lakes Science Center. Unfortunately it was still only around 9 in the morning and so, the museum had not yet opened (either that or I missed the entry). Returned to the main downtown area and went to the Public Library. After spending a few minutes there, went to Public Square. By the time I had finished my mini exploration in downtown Cleveland, it was already 10.15. I made my way to the greyhound station. On reaching there, found out that the boarding would begin only at 11.30 and I had at least another 45 minutes to spare. Boarding began at 11.40 and we were soon on our way to Columbus. While the greyhound is comfortable for a short journey, its certainly crampy for long journeys. There isn’t much leg space available. The journey to Columbus was along I-71 which is a picturesque road. Without much traffic, we reached Columbus on time. I finished my lunch here. Anda Burji and rotis packed specially by Bala Mami were fantastic. After lunch, proceeded to the airport. A 20 minute cab ride got me to Port Columbus International airport. The word International here is a bit misleading since the only international flights are the ones coming from Montreal on Air Canada. I had reached the airport at 3.30 and the flight was at 6.45. With some time to spare, got a seat and started reading the novel I was carrying. Around 4.30, went to enquire about the flight departure and to my absolute shock, found that the departure was at 10.20. Well, the flight was supposed to come from Orlando and hence the delay could be expected. But what surprised me was that the flight from Orlando was arriving on time. This could mean that there was some problem in Philadelphia. But the United Airlines and American Airlines flights departing at 6 and 6.15 were on time. Thus there was total confusion. I went and enquired at the check in counter and they informed me, that due to stormy weather in Philadelphia, we have the take off time at 10.30. However if the weather improves, then we could take off earlier. So don’t stray too far from the security gates. Well next was a long wait. After clearing security, I was left in an interesting and weird position. Here was the plane in front of me. The weather was just perfect. No clouds in the sky. And yet, we couldn’t take off because the weather was not good in Philadelphia. Updates were given every half hour and it was the usual. Weather is yet to improve. I asked the flight captain whether there was a latest time slot that we would take. His reply was even if its late like 1 in the night, we will still take off. Well that was good, cause I wanted to be in Philly before 7 in the morning. All the flights to the east coast were delayed. Most interesting was the case of the flight to Baltimore. They started boarding passengers inside and then realized that the airport at Baltimore had closed down. Thus every one had to disembark once again. The flight eventually did leave at 10 in the night. Around this time, we got the much dreaded news. That our flight was cancelled. And since it was due to weather disturbance, the only concession they were giving us was booking us on the morning flight. That flight was supposed to depart at 7.10 and reach Philly at 8.40. We had to reach the check in counter by 6 in the morning. So I had to spend the next 7 hours at the airport. And then I found out that my cell phone had completely exhausted its battery. So here am I at a new airport and I cant call anyone cause my cell phone doesn’t have battery. So there was nothing to do but wait. Found a nice place in the corner of the baggage reclaim area. Well time for dinner. As I had some food in the evening, I wasn’t that hungry. And then it stuck me that there were some gulab jamuns that Bala Mami had given. Trust me, to have gulab jamuns at that place and at that time in that scenario was simply amazing. I trust I must have been the first person to enjoy gulab jamun at Columbus airport. J.
After my dinner, thought of going off to sleep. But sleep wasn’t coming that night. After trying to sleep for an hour or so, went for a walk on the concourse at the airport. At 3 am, the flight from Philly arrived. This flight was supposed to arrive at 10 pm. Though it was late, it was good news for me. Because that meant that Philly airport had started operating. And hence our flight in the morning would be on time. After this, I don’t know whether it was due to the exhaustion or due to the happy thought that we would take off, but I went straight to sleep and the next thing I knew was 5.45 in the morning. I am thankful to a few elderly people who were sitting nearby and were booked on the same flight as me. Due to their voice, I woke up at 5.45. Otherwise its very much possible that I might have missed the morning flight. Checked in and got my boarding pass. Cleared security for the second time. Again no hassles. It was pretty much a formality. And then waited for the boarding announcement. The flight was overbooked and Southwest were looking for volunteers who would take the next flight reaching Philly in the afternoon. The incentive was a voucher for $200 plus the air fare. That would have meant a cool $300. I certainly don’t earn that much in a day in Motorola and was considering that option. But within minutes, my considerations went down the drain. Because they had found their volunteers. I guess when some thing is available for free, you should better hurry up. My neighbor went to volunteer and he was refused. Flight boarding started at 7 and we were ready to depart at 7.15. The gift for my patience was a window seat (a rare chance since I went in after the first 100 people went in. Total no of seats were 140.) The flight to Philly was uneventful except for a small patch of turbulent weather. We touched down at Philly airport on time at 8.40. And as if to mock me, the weather in Philly was clear. The sun was out and shining bright and three was absolutely no indication of the storm that had left me high and dry in the night. By the time I got my luggage, it was 9.10. Just in time to catch the 9.15 train to Center city. Reached 30th street station at 9.40. Entered home at 9.55, just 12 hours after my expected arrival and 26 hours since I started. A quick refreshment and I was on my way to Motorola.
Thus was my 26 hour journey. It came exactly 2 years and 363 days after another 26 hour long journey. That was a lesson in itself as was this. I learnt many things during this journey. First and foremost, I know what to do and how to pass time if I get stuck again at the airport. It also taught me that one can make the best of the plans, but the weather can always play a spoilsport. It also gave me a chance to explore Columbus airport and I suggest they rename Port Columbus International airport as Adil International airport at Columbus.
For all those people who were worried about me, and I know there were many, it wasn’t that bad. I certainly look upon it as a lesson in life. The thought of writing this memoir came after talking with Sunil Mama, who suggested I write a thesis on waiting at the airport. Sorry for the long memoir, but I hope you enjoyed reading it. Looking forward to your comments and brickbats.
No comments:
Post a Comment